Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Christmas in La Paz

This year I made the difficult decision to stay in Bolivia for Christmas rather than buying a plane ticket back to Colorado. For me, it was a matter of principle, a demonstration of my commitment to my new home, and an attempt at identifying with my new friends and my new culture. It was difficult to see many of my friends heading back to the USA for the holidays and feeling a mix a jealousy and homesickness. I am so thankful to have a loving family that understands my calling to Bolivia. I am so thankful to have celebrated my first Christmas here in Bolivia. It was truly a wonderful time with friends and new family.


One of my friends from Colorado, who currently lives in Peru, made the bus ride over to La Paz to spend Christmas with me and my community. On Christmas Eve we made the journey to the south side of La Paz to attend the Christmas skit at my co-worker's church. The skit was very unconventional and very hilarious. Then we went back to her place for the traditional Bolivian late night dinner and gift-opening. The typical Christmas Eve dish is called picana and it couldn't be more Bolivian. It's a soup like dish with 4 different types of meat, potatoes, corn, a bit of wine, and of course accompanied by the traditional Bolivian hot sauce, llajwa.

I ate picana until I was in pain and then we opened presents. I was super surprised that my co-worker bought me a nice big rug for my new apartment! The next morning we woke up and ate a huge, delicious brunch and watched my co-worker's little girl open her presents.

After brunch, my friend Steph and I made the ride up the hill to the other end of the city to have Christmas lunch with my friend Ramiro and his family. Since it was our third huge meal in about14 hours, we could hardly finish our plates... but it was a great time of sharing the holiday with good friends and in a totally different setting than the previous night.


We finished our Christmas by hanging out at a coffee shop in the city and Skyping with our families. While it is very hard at times to be so far away and disconnected from my family, I am so, so thankful for the technology that allows us to remain present in each other's lives. Overall, it was a wonderful Christmas, and I hope it's not the last that I celebrate here in Bolivia!



No comments:

Post a Comment