Monday, August 29, 2011

Burned!

I've been awake for almost this entire night thanks to an incredibly painful sunburn. I don't know if I've ever experienced anything quite as uncomfortable... even breaking my collarbone seemed less intense (though maybe that had something to do with all of the drugs I was on). I have been writhing in pain in my bed, completely uncomfortable, but afraid to move for fear of angering the nasty burn even further. The worst part of my sunburn is located on the back of my thighs. And it is really nasty because I can feel that my skin is physically swollen.

I feel especially frustrated and burned by the situation because I got sunburned during what was supposed to be a relaxing and life-giving sabbath at the beach. My teammate Tabor and I have been partnering with each other to learn how to instill a good rhythm of weekly sabbath. We have completed 2 weeks at this point, but both weeks were somewhat ruined by unexpected circumstances. This feels like an attach from the enemy. I am doing my best to honor God's command to make the seventh day holy and set apart for him, but seem to be discouraged by circumstances in this effort. While I am somewhat disheartened, I am also excited about the prospect of continuing this practice. Tabor and I are committed to keeping each other accountable to this discipline for the rest of our time in the SP internship. And practice makes perfect, right? I'm really hoping that practicing the sabbath will eventually turn into an enjoyable and life-giving experience - one that causes me to yearn for this day of rest each and every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment