Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What's Next?

It’s been a couple of weeks since my site visit to Bolivia. Since returning home, I’ve been overwhelmed with the busyness of everyday life, but also drawn into contemplation about my potential future in Bolivia. I am learning to live in the tension of discerning my call for the future, but also staying fully present to my internship and community in Los Angeles. While the Lord increases my excitement for what’s next, I realize that there is still work to be done here and now. I don’t want to take that opportunity for granted.

All that said… I am also being sure to take some time for discernment and prayer about God’s call on my life to Bolivia. It was such a pleasure to be back in the place that I love so much. The Lord really reaffirmed my deep longing and compassion for that place. I feel like he is giving me the go ahead and calling me to take a step forward in faith. At this point, there seem to be three options that stand out to me as far as ministry opportunities in La Paz. I’d like to outline these options briefly (in no particular order) for you so that you can see where I’m at and begin to pray with me about when and how to return to Bolivia.

Option #1 – Word Made Flesh (WMF). I was really impressed with this ministry. The organization has similar values as Servant Partners to minister to the urban poor. They seek to come alongside the least and be a real and practical demonstration of the love of Christ. There are a handful of reasons that this particular ministry appeals to me.  First, I feel a compassion and potential call to the demographic that they work with. The ministry is focused on women in prostitution and providing an avenue of escape and restoration. They have a house near the red light district in El Alto and really focus on holistic healing and discipleship. They are also getting ready to launch a kids program for all of the young children of the women in the program. I am also drawn to the structure and clear objectives of the ministry. And as an organization, WMF really stresses discipleship in community. The staff lives in a very intimate, communal, and learning posture.

Option #2 – Serving In Mission (SIM). We didn’t get to spend a ton of time with this ministry, but we were able to connect with a couple of the SIM missionaries and were very encouraged by their ministry and commitment. The organization is very well established and has been working in Bolivia for over 100 years! As an organization, their strength lies in their experience and their diversity. The team working in La Paz is multi-generational and focused mostly on church planting and leadership development. But the best thing about SIM is that my good friends, Randy and Dani, will most likely be returning to La Paz under this organization early next year to continue their ministry with shoe shiners. While the organization in general does not have a specific focus on the urban poor, Randy and Dani have made this demographic their focus and it would be great to join them in this work, especially to a group of people that have really captured my heart.

Option #3 – Servant Partners (SP). Over the last year and a half of working under Servant Partners, I have really grown to love their mission, values, and connection to the leading of the Spirit. While a relatively new ministry, the staff is focused and passionate about bringing hope to the urban poor. I especially value and appreciate their model of incarnation, being committed to actually live alongside the poorest of the poor.  The only problem is that SP does not currently have a site in La Paz. They are open to talking about what it could look like to start a site, but first they would need a site leader and a team. I do not personally feel called or gifted to act as a team leader at this point, so would need someone else to step up and join me. The prospect of starting a new SP site is also appealing because while I am not a visionary and don’t really have the gift of apostleship, I love partnering with people that are gifted in this way. I love being involved in starting new things and addressing new issues in ministry.

Lots of cool options, right? I’m on a plane right now heading to CO to visit my family for Christmas and to welcome my new niece into the world! (My sis-in-law is in labor right now!) I’m going to meet up with my friends Randy and Dani in Denver and take through some of these options. I’m really excited to dream with them and get some wise counsel from these gifted and experienced friends. And I would appreciate your prayers as I move into a more intentional season of discernment. I’m hoping to nail down a tentative timeline soon and take a big step of faith towards getting to the field! 

No comments:

Post a Comment