Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Introducing... Miss Ali!


Last week I was informed about a teaching opportunity at the after school program in our neighborhood called Adventures Ahead. It was started by our church and the neighborhood development organization that was birthed from the church. The director of the program is an alum of the SP internship program and one of my fellow interns teaches one of the classes.

I didn't inquire about the opening right away since I was still hoping to hear positive news from the company I interviewed with the week before. But after getting a "no" from them, I reconsidered the opportunity at Adventures Ahead. On Sunday I talked with the director, who was excited about my inquiry and was prepared to offer me the position if I wanted it. She needed a decision fast because classes started today! After some discussion, some thought, and some prayer, I decided to take the job!

It's only about 8 hours a week, but I'm excited nonetheless. I'm excited to have something to dedicate myself to. I'm excited to have responsibility. I'm excited to learn and grow. I will be teaching the 1st and 2nd grade class - which is 5 students at this point, 2 boys and 3 girls. We meet Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 4-6pm. The 2 hour block consists of 30 minutes of homework help, a 15 minute math game, a 15 minute snack, and an hour of reading. They have a very organized and extensive reading curriculum to get through, as reading proficiency is the main objective of the program.

The extent of my teaching experience is helping to teach some English classes in Bolivia in 2006 and some swim lessons in Costa Rica in 2008. As you may know, being in front of people is not my favorite thing in the world. And teaching 1st and 2nd graders definitely requires patience, compassion and perseverance. I immediately think of my friend, Abby... I may be calling you, Abby, if things get tough! :)

Anyways, just wanted to share the exciting news. Please pray for good connections with my students, for the ability to discipline harshly when needed, for an absence of fear and timidity, and for incredible growth in teaching and speaking. Thanks!

- Miss Ali :)

Check out my sweet classroom!

1 comment:

  1. How fun!!! You are going to be AWESOME! Can't wait to hear about your experience. Love you!

    ReplyDelete